Happy Imbolc to you all. I hope this celebration finds you in peace and joy. I thought for today’s celebration I would teach you how to make candles.
You will need:
- Wax (your choice of materials but remember if it’s labeled for either jars or free standing, stick to the lable. Jar wax doesn’t hold it’s shape well but the wax evaporates better than stick wax which will drip.)
- Glass bowl or double boiler
- Container or mold
- Scents, coloring, dry flowers, crystals, etc. (Optional)
Keep in mind that anything you use in this project will forever be covered in wax. If you’re creating a candle for a ritual, I recommend cleansing your space and even going so far as to cast a circle. I also recommend using preshredded wax. You can also grate or chop it to help it melt faster but preshredded is great if you don’t want to spend the time.
Set up your pot of water and get it started boiling. Add your wax to the glass bowl or double boiler and set it on top of the boiling water. If you don’t have a glass bowl, a large pyrex measuring cup also works great. As your wax melts, suspend your wick in the middle of your jar or mold. Once your wax melts completely, remove it from heat and add any scents or colors that you’d like. If you’re adding flowers or crystals to the candles, you may have to pour it in increments, then add the ingredients, let it cool, and add the next layer. Flowers tend to float or stay suspended whereas crystals will sink in hot wax.
Some color correspondences to consider:
- White: Purity, innocence, cleansing, protection;
- Green: Money, growth, wealth, fertility;
- Orange: Success;
- Yellow: Intelligence
- Red: Bravery, friendship
- Pink: Love, friendship
- Blue: Pysche;
- Black: Banishing.
I hope you all have a lovely Imbolc!
Go in peace.